During archaeological monitoring of the lower entrance of the Lachine Canal by the Corporation of the Old Port of Montreal, archaeologists obtained data spanning approximately 170 years of development in the area. Indeed, the original canal, built between 1821-1825, has seen many transformations in its dimensions and in the spatial organization of the adjacent installations. This article focuses on a particular finding related to the first period of the history of the canal: the remains of privately owned short wooden track lines used for transporting goods from the warehouses along Common Street to the canal during the years 1825 to 1848.
"From the Warehouses to the Canal By Rail ca. 1830: The Lachine Canal, Montreal, Quebec,"
Northeast Historical Archaeology:
28, Article 5.
Available at: http://orb.binghamton.edu/neha/vol28/iss1/5