CONTENT OF THE 1981-1982 ACADEMIC YEAR
[Please note, this electronic archive only holds a limited portion of the newsletter content]
President: John P. Anton
Secretary: Anthony Preus
Meeting with the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association in Philadelphia, December 29, 1981.
Chair: Anthony Preus
- Alexander Nehamas, “Episteme and Logos in Plato’s Later Thought.” A revised version was published in Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie 66.1 (1984), reprinted in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1989. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Vol. III: Plato, State University of New York Press, 267-292. The Archiv version of the paper is posted on Academia.edu : https://www.academia.edu/9243998/Episteme_and_Logos_in_Platos_Later_Thought
- Jaako Hintikka, “The Unambiguity of Being in Aristotle.” A revised version was published as “The Varieties of Being in Aristotle” in S. Knuuttila & J. Hintikka. 1986. The Logic of Being. Synthese Historical Library vol. 28. Pp. 81-114.
Meeting with the American Philological Association in San Francisco:
- Edward N. Lee, University of California, San Deigo. “Plato’s Theory of Social Justice in Republic II-IV.” A revised version was published in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1989. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Vol. III: Plato, State University of New York Press, 117-140. This version has a “Postscript” that the author hopes you will also read. You may be able to retrieve it Edward N. Lee is Emeritus at UC San Diego.
- Miroslav Marcovich, University of Illinois, Urbana, “Some Heraclitean Problems.” For an extensive list of publications by M. Marcovich, see IllinoisClassical81993Marcovich.pdf.
Meeting with the Western (Central) Division of the American Philosophical Association in Columbus, Ohio, April 29, 1982.
Chair: John Anton, Emory University
- Henry Teloh, Vanderbilt University. “Psychagogia in the Euthyphro.” See his 1986. Socratic Education in Plato’s Early Dialogues, U of Notre Dame Press. Emeritus at Vanderbilt University. Short bio at Vanderbilt.edu. James Lennox, University of Pittsburgh. “Aristotle and the Functions of Reproduction.”
Submissions from 1982
Aristotle and the Functions of Reproduction, James G. Lennox
Submissions from 1981
The Unambiguity of Aristotelian Being, Jaakko Hintikka
Plato's Theory of Social Justice in Republic II-IV, Edward Nichols Lee
Some Heraclitean Problems, Miroslav Marcovich
Episteme and Logos in Plato's Later Thought, Alexander Nehamas