CONTENT OF THE 1982-1983 ACADEMIC YEAR
[Please note, this electronic archive only holds a limited portion of the newsletter content]
President: John P. Anton
Meeting with the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association in Baltimore, December 1982
Chair: John Anton, University of South Florida at Tampa
- Wallace Matson, University of California at Berkeley. “Eleatic Motions”. Published in Philosophical Inquiry 6 (3-4) (1984) 184-201.
- Nicholas P. White, University of Michigan, “Justice and One’s Own Good in Plato’s Republic.” The distributed paper has the title “The rulers’ choice.” Revised version published “The Classification of Goods in Plato’s Republic.” Journal of the History of Philosophy 22.4 (1984) 393-421.
Meeting with the American Philological Association in Philadelphia, December 1982
- Ronald Polansky, Duquesne University, “Energeia in Aristotle’s Metaphysics IX.” Published in Ancient Philosophy 3 (1983) 160-170, reprinted in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Volume V: Aristotle’s Ontology. SUNY Press, 211-226.
- David Glidden, University of California at Riverside, “Epicurean Prolepsis.” Published in Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 3 (1985) 175-217. Emeritus at UC Riverside.
1983: Margaret Reesor, President
A. Preus, Secretary Spring 83:
Meeting with the Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association, Oakland California, March 25,1983
Chair: John Anton
- John Malcolm, University of California, Davis, “Paradigm as Universal: An Apologia for Plato.” Cf. Plato on the Self-Predication of Forms, Early and Middle Dialogues, Clarendon 1991.
- Jerry Clegg, Mills College, “On Natural and Unnatural Arts.” (Presentation title “Aristotle’s Poetic and Metaphysics.” Professor Emeritus at Mills College, retired 2006.
Meeting with the Western (=Central) Division of the American Philosophical Association, Chicago, April 29,1983
Margaret Reesor, Queen’s University, Chair
- Hippocrates George Apostle, Grinnell College. “Aristotle’s Philosophical Principles of Mathematics: A Reinterpretation.” Chicago 1952.
- Sarah Shorten, University of Western Ontario. “Towards an Understanding of De Anima 432a1: Aristotle’s analogy between the soul and the hand.”
Summer 1983, World Congress of Philosophy in Montreal, Canada
- Herbert Granger, Wayne State University. “Aristotle on Genus and Differentia in the Topics and Categories.” Published in Journal of the History of Philosophy 22.1 (1984) 1-23, reprinted in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Volume V: Aristotle’s Ontology. SUNY Press, 69-94.
- Theodore Scaltsas, University of Edinburgh. “Substratum subject and substance.” Published in Ancient Philosophy 5 (1985) 215-240, reprinted in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Volume V: Aristotle’s Ontology. SUNY Press. 177-210.
- Francis Sparshott, University of Toronto. “Aristotle on Women.” Also presented at SSIPS 1984. published in Philosophical Inquiry 7 (1985) 177-200.
Submissions from 1983
Aristotle's Philosophical Principles of Mathematics, Hippocrates George Apostle
On Natural and Unnatural Arts, Jerry Clegg
Aristotle on Genus and Differentia in the Topics and Categories, Herbert Granger
Aristotle on Women, Francis Sparshott
Submissions from 1982
Epicurean Prolepsis, David Glidden
Eleatic Motions, Wallace Matson
Listings of the 1982-1983 SAGP Content, Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy