CONTENT OF THE 1958-1959 ACADEMIC YEAR
[Please note, this electronic archive only holds a limited portion of the newsletter content]
1958: President, Philip Merlan.
Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association: Cincinnati OH
- Charles H. Kahn, “Religion and Natural Philosophy in Empedocles’ Doctrine of the Soul” (Original title, “Panpsychism and Immortality in Empedocles”) Published in Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie 42.1 (1960) 3-35, reprinted in John P. Anton & George Kustas, eds. 1971. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy vol. 1, SUNY, 3-38, with additional material.
- Thomas Gould, “The Metaphysical Foundations for Aristotle’s Ethics,” published in John P. Anton & George Kustas, eds. 1971. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy vol. 1, SUNY, 451-461.
American Philological Association, Burlington VT
- John Herman Randall Jr. “The Functionalism and Dynamism of Aristotle.” Published as Appendix 1 to Victorino Tejera. 2014. Two Metaphysical Naturalisms. Lexington Books. That appendix is available online at weebly.com. See also his Aristotle, Columbia 1960.
- Paul Oskar Kristeller, “Ancient Philosophy at Salerno in the Twelfth Century.” See his Studies in Renaissance Thought and Letters, vol. I-IV, Rome: Edizioni di Storia e Letteratura, 1956-1996. Without checking, I suspect that this paper is related to something in that collection of Kristeller’s papers. See also his Renaissance Thought and its Sources (1979) Columbia University Press.
Pacific Division Claremont CA 1959
- Thomas G. Rosenmeyer, “Plato’s Hypothesis and the Upward Path,” published in American Journal of Philology 81.4 (1960) 393-407, reprinted in John P. Anton & George Kustas, eds. 1971. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy vol. 1, SUNY, 354-366.
- Frederick Sontag, Pomona College, “Plato’s Unwritten Dialogue, The Philosopher.” Published in Atti del XII Congresso Internazionale di Filosofia 11 (1960) 159-167, available online at the Philosophy Documentation Center.
Submissions from 1958
The Metaphysical Foundations for Aristotle's Ethics, Thomas F. Gould
Panpsychism and Immortality in Empedocles, Charles H. Kahn
Ancient Philosophy at Salerno in the Twelfth Century, Paul Oskar Kristeller
The Functionalism and Dynamism of Aristotle, John Herman Randall Jr.
Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy 1958 Program, Rosamond Kent Sprague