CONTENT OF THE 1988-1989 ACADEMIC YEAR
[Please note, this electronic archive only holds a limited portion of the newsletter content]
President: Julius Moravscik
SAGP/SSIPS 1988 7th annual meeting, at Baruch College CUNY.
- Robin Smith, Texas A&M, “Filling in Nature’s Deficiencies.” Published in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Volume V: Aristotle’s Ontology. SUNY Press, 293-312. See his page at http://apacentral.org/
Meeting with the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association in Washington DC, December 1988
Chair: A. Preus
- Scott Austin, Texas A&M, “Paradox, Poetry, and Eternity: Socrates, Parmenides, and Nietzsche.” He had previously published Parmenides: Being, Bounds, and Logic. Yale University Press 1986, and subsequently Parmenides and the History of Dialectic: Three Essays, Parmenides 2007. This essay is not identical to anything in either book.
- Donald Morrison, Rice, “Ontological Structures in Aristotle.” Published as “The Taxonomical Interpretation of Aristotle’s Categories: A Criticism” in A. Preus & J. P. Anton, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy V: Aristotle’s Ontology. State University of New York Press. 19-46.
Meeting with the American Philological Association in Baltimore, January 1989.
Chair: David Furley.
- David Gallop, Trent, “Organic Models in Aristotle’s Poetics.” Published as “Animals in the Poetics” in Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 8 (1990) 145-171, reprinted in A. E. Rorty, ed. 1992. Essays in Aristotle’s Poetics. Princeton University Press.
- Dirk Obbink, Columbia, “What All Men Believe to be True: Common Conceptions and Conceptio Omnium in Aristotle and Hellenistic Philosophy.” Published in Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 10 (1992) 193-231.
Meeting with the Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association in Oakland, California, March 24, 1989.
Chair: John Anton
- David DePew, Cal State Fullerton, “Does Aristotle’s Philosophy rest on a Contradiction?”
- Cynthia Freeland, Univ. of Houston, “Aristotle’s Poetics on Good and Bad Tragedies.” See her “Plot Imitates Action: Aesthetic Evaluation and Moral Realism in Aristotle’s Poetics.” In A. Rorty, ed. 1992. Essays on Aristotle’s Poetics. Princeton. 111-132.
Meeting with the Central Division of the American Philosophical Association in Chicago, April 1989.
- Cynthia Hampton, U of Ohio, “The Good Life in Plato’s Later Thought.” Cf. her Pleasure, Knowledge, and Being: An Analysis of Plato’s Philebus, SUNY 1990, and “Plato’s Late Ontology.” Ancient Philosophy 8.1 (2008) 105-116.
- James Allen, Pitt, “Failure and Expertise in the Ancient Conception of an Art.” Published in Scientific Failure, ed. A. Janis & T. Horowitz. Rowman 1993. 83-110.
Submissions from 1989
SAGP Newsletter 1988/9.3 (February), Anthony Preus
SAGP Newsletter 1988/9.4 (March), Anthony Preus
Listing of the 1988-1989 SAGP Content, Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
Submissions from 1988
Ontological Structures in Aristotle, Donald Morrison
SAGP Newsletter 1988/9.2 (November), Anthony Preus
SAGP/SSIPS Program 1988, Anthony Preus