CONTENT OF THE 1987-1988 ACADEMIC YEAR
[Please note, this electronic archive only holds a limited portion of the newsletter content]
Meeting with the American Philological Association December 1987, in New York City. Gold and Dust. 1987/8.2 (November)
Chair: David Furley.
- David Blank, UCLA. “Good as Gold: Socrates On The Parts Of Virtue"
- Mary Louise Gill, Pitt, “Dust to dust: Aristotle’s account of generation and destruction.”
Meeting with the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association in Ballroom B of the Sheraton Centre, New York at 7:30 p.m., Monday, December 28, 1987: Aristotle*s Ethics. 1987/8.2 (November)
Chair. Anthony Preus, SU N Y Binghamton
- Daniel Devereux, Virginia, "Ethical Method in Aristotle: Setting Out the Phainomena"
- Robert Bolton, Rutgers, "Aristotle on the Objectivity of Ethics"
1988: President, David Furley
Meeting with the Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association March 24, 1988, in Portland, Oregon. 1987/8.3 (February)
Chair: Julius Moravcsik, Stanford.
- Richard McKirahan, Pomona College, “Existence Claims in the Posterior Analytics.” Cf. his Principles and Proofs: Aristotle’s Theory of Demonstrative Science. Princeton 1992.http://www.dikam.auth.gr/sites/default/files/attachements/CURRICULUM-VITAE-RICHARD-McKIRAHAN_0.pdf
- Michael Wedin, UC Davis, “Aristotle on the Mechanics of Thought.” Published in Ancient Philosophy 9 (1989) 67-86, reprinted in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1992. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Volume V: Aristotle’s Ontology. SUNY Press, 245-272.
Meeting with the Central Division of the American Philosophical Association April 1988 in Cincinnati. 1987/8.4 (March)
Chair: Robert Turnbull.
- Theodore Scaltsas, Edinburgh, “Aristotle on Particularity.” (abstract only). See his Substances and Universals in Aristotle’s Metaphysics. Cornell 1994.
- Alfonso Gomez-Lobo, Georgetown. “The Ergon Inference.” Earlier version in Phronesis 34 (1989) 170-184, updated version in John P. Anton & Anthony Preus, eds. 1991. Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy, Vol. IV: Aristotle’s Ethics. SUNY Press, 43-58 (Original title: “A new look at the ergon argument in the Nicomachean Ethics”)
Submissions from 1988
A New Look at the Ergon Argument in the Nicomachean Ethics, Alfonso Gomez-Lobo
Existence Claims in the Posterior Analytics, Richard D. McKirahan Jr.
SAGP Newsletter 1987/8.3 (February), Anthony Preus
SAGP Newsletter 1987/8.4 (March), Anthony Preus
Listing of the 1987-1988 SAGP Content, Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
Aristotle on the Mechanics of Thought: Abstract, Michae V. Wedin
Submissions from 1987
Ethical Method in Aristotle: Setting Out the Phainomena, Daniel T. Devereux
Dust to Dust: Aristotle's Account of Generation and Desctruction, Mary Louise Gill