microfilm, monographs, colonialization, archives, pamphlets, rare, Africa, Asia, maps
The Haggerty Collection consists of over 30,000 monographs, periodicals, reports, government publications, scrapbooks and ephemera from or pertaining to French colonies during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The materials were originally part of the Union Coloniale Française, a private learning center established by French trading firms in 1894, renamed the Comité Central Français pour l’Outre-Mer in 1948. The collection was acquired by the State University of New York at New Paltz (and named for its president) in 1966 after the Comité was disbanded, coming to Binghamton University in 1984. While most of the Haggerty Collection is in French, other languages are represented and other European nations’ colonies are covered.
SHEPHARD, Edward J., "The William J. Haggerty collection of French colonial history" (2009). Library Scholarship. 56.