About This Journal
Northeast Journal of Complex Systems (NEJCS) is a peer-reviewed, online open-access journal on complex systems, a highly interdisciplinary field of research on systems made of a large number of interacting components that can show emergent structures and behaviors at multiple scales. NEJCS strives to publish original research on complex systems in a timely, open-access manner, free of charge for everyone.
NEJCS solicits submissions of original manuscripts on a wide variety of complex systems research. Topics covered include (but are not limited to):
- Theoretical foundations of complex systems
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos
- Systems theory, information theory, and systems science
- Game theory, decision theory, and socio-economical applications
- Self-organization, pattern formation, and collective behavior
- Structure and dynamics of complex networks
- Sustainability and adaptability of complex systems
- Bio-inspired systems, machine learning, and evolutionary computation
- Data-driven approaches to complex systems
- Applications to the humanities, art, and literature
- Historical and philosophical aspects of complex systems
- Complex systems and education
Papers should be about original research that was not published anywhere. Topics may be specialized on a specific technical problem, or of interdisciplinary nature, typically addressing different aspects/applications of complexity. After initial screening by editors, submissions will be sent to external peer reviews, which may take 1~3 months to complete.
NEJCS was created and is run by a community of complex systems researchers located primarily in the US Northeast region, as a viable alternative to the current trend of increasingly expensive open-access publishing venues. The journal is an official publication of the US Northeast Chapter of the Complex Systems Society, and is managed by the Center for Collective Dynamics of Complex Systems (CoCo) at Binghamton University, with help from the Open Repository @ Binghamton (ORB) at the Binghamton University Library. The journal contents are indexed by Google Scholar, and will be indexed by more scholarly databases in the future.